Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Christmas Tree from Trash

Last year, I was challenged to create a Christmas tree using only scrap material. I was able to come up with a design and chronicled this in my work blog. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to show the finished, decorated tree. So, I thought it would be fun to resurrect that article along with pictures, including the final product. I hope you enjoyed this project and, possibly, exercise your own imagination during this holiday season. What follows is the original posting:

I was remarking on my personal blog that I would likely be a Scrooge this year and not put up a Christmas tree. I received a challenge, shortly thereafter, to build my own tree using recycled materials or scraps from the job site. Not being one to turn away from a creative challenge, I started scrounging around the shop and found a piece of wall paneling that was cut up. It even had the wall plug cut out in it, and had obviously been torn out of a recent remodel. Right away, you could hear the wheels turning in my head, so here’s what I did.



I started by finding a picture of a Christmas tree to use as my design and sketched it out onto the paneling. Once I had the design on one piece, I used a table saw to cut a slot halfway through the sketched out tree from the bottom up.


Then, using a jigsaw, I cut out the pattern. Once I had the first piece, I traced its shape onto a second piece of paneling and cut another slot halfway through, only this time, from the top down. With both pieces cut out, I spray painted them a nice shade of evergreen, but not an even coat. That way, I had varying shades of green. Once the two pieces were dry, I lined them up in a cross pattern and joined the two pieces together.


What this accomplished was to create a tree in three dimensions! Of course, once I had the two pieces joined I realized I needed to cut off the trunk so it could stand on its own.


Time to interrupt last year's blog. Here's where the new ending begins! For decorations, I decided to use crushed aluminum cans and I simply hot-glued them to the branches. I also made sure to put the cans on both sides so you could see them from any direction. If you want to go a little further, you can string lights on it and, even add an angel or star on top. I realize that to some, this may look like Charlie Brown's poor little tree; but, like Linus said, all it needs is a little love. Last year, I set this up on a small table and it was the perfect place for the presents Santa left for my daughter. I feel pretty certain the big jolly guy appreciated the effort, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment