Friday, March 11, 2011

Scratched Corian

Karen in TN


I have a scratch in my Corian countertop. I’ve tried buffing it out as the salesman told me I could do, but it’s just left the spot looking dull as compared with the rest of the countertop. What can I do?

Sanding out scratches, as long as they aren’t too deep, is pretty easy. Getting that shine back? Not so easy. It can be done, but finding the right stuff to do it may be a challenge for you. I would use a random orbital sander and you also need to find some mylar discs. Get some 60-micron, 30-micron and 15-micron discs. Don’t just sand the scratch marks, either. You’ll need to sand the entire surface starting with the 60-micron and working toward the 15. By the way, I’ve been able to find those mylar discs at specialtytools.com in the past. I also like to use an orbital sander with an attachment that lets me use a vacuum hose with it to keep the dust at a minimum. Once the top has been sanded with the 15-micron disc, switch to an electric buffer on low speed and work in some buffing compound all over the top. At this point, you should have a fine looking countertop. For an added measure, you can put the cherry on top by polishing the counter with a specialty polish like 3M’s Finesse-It.

No comments:

Post a Comment