Friday, March 11, 2011

Trouble Drilling a Shallow Well

Jeff in FL


I’m trying to drill a well and after 7-feet, my bit has hit something solid and nothing seems to work on getting past it. Any suggestions?

I’ve never done any well drilling, but I’ve spoken with some folks who have. Rocks aren’t really well stoppers, but they will definitely slow down the process. In fact, it may not seem like you’re getting anywhere, but the pros tell me that a big rock can slow drilling down to about ½” per hour! The real problem, though, is not in the big rocks, but in the rocks about the size of a small melon. The reason is because the drill bit can’t bite into anything and just rolls off. While it’s not impossible to by-pass them, most of the pros also tell me that it’s so time-consuming that drilling a well just may not be practical in that situation. You can always try drilling in another location, but there’s no guarantee that the layer of rock you’re hitting now isn’t a layer that encompasses your entire property.

No comments:

Post a Comment